Monday, November 8, 2010

Nov. 7th, 2010

10 miles overall. NE XC Masters 8k.
I went into this race thinking "OK, I feel like I can hang with Burdett, Lemme and whoever else shows up" (besides Koech; my strategy for him was basically to hope he has an off day.)
I warmed up nice and long, as it was pretty damned freezing and the air was damp to boot.
As I toed the line, I saw that everyone who felt they had a shot at this thing was glancing up and down, looking for the tall, dark Kenyan, who was nowhere to be found.
I got excited, probably a bit too much.
I knew I was still nursing this cold, but I felt like if I ran smart, I should be able to at least replicate what i did 2 weeks ago at the Mayor's Cup where I ran 26:12.
The gun went off and it was kind of hilarious to find myself in the lead pack going up over the little rise at the end of the field, as even at a 5:00 pace, I'm usually in the back 1/3 by that point. But here I was, Burdett, Lemme, Wayne, Jason and a few other guys right there. As we went through the 1/2 mile mark, it was me chasing Burdett. At 1, I was with him, by 2 I had passed him and I kept grinding, really pressing and wanting to keep the lead at all costs, instead of thinking that this is XC, where the middle-miles strength I've grown so used to would dry up quick if I pressed on with every step. Lo and behold, Burdett caught me just after 3 and i was deflated. Lemme got me @ 4.2 (just before the 2nd time up Bear Cage) and my heart just wasn't in it enough to try to make any more out of it. I don't feel like I gave up at all, it was more like I'd already spent the mental fuel early, along with the physical. I came in 3rd with a 26:40 and was glad to just see that everyone was way slower, as the cold really affected the whole lot of us.
I have no doubt that if I'd run a smarter race, I'd have had a better chance, but I am at least confident that gave it all I had, as afterwards I was an emotional wreck (the sure sign I dug deep.)
Can't be too disappointed in a 3rd at a big race like this where almost all the best masters in the region showed, and I certainly enjoyed the day and the great camaraderie. I was really psyched to see and talk with Kevin, who ran quite well on a hard 10k course with a tough field. Can't wait to see him back and racing more and enjoying it all.
Lessons learned and I'll be ready next time.

M-11
T- 8
W- 16 (10/6)
Th- 9
F- 9
Sa- 5
Su- 10

week- 68 miles

3 comments:

Kevin Balance said...

Good job Joe. Those guys up front are as tough as nails. Glad to hear the course was running slow compared to Mayor's Cup. I'll take some solace in that...I'm also glad to see that you're out of my age group for the next 7 years or so...

joe navas said...

Hey dude. I'm a little slow on the comments on the blog I don't get an email telling me I have one, so every couple of weeks I see that I do.
That was a tough day for all. Everyone down the line seemed slower and I don't know about you, but Kevin Gray and I both felt like someone had taken a bat to our calves for a few days following. I haven't felt that beat up after a race since I don't know when.
Thanks on the age group transfer. I'm just as happy to get away from you speedy Open guys, though as I learned, it's like going out of one frying pan and into another frying pan (Young Ones reference.)
Have a great race in Philly. You're gonna kill it.

David said...

I liked your in depth race analysis. that mental attitude has got a lot to answer for!