Sunday, December 29, 2013

Saturday, December 28th, 2013

12 miles.
My good friend, Dari, who has kicking cancer's ass off and on for years now, is, among other things, an accomplished ultra-runner. She's turning 50 soon, and to commemorate that (and for all sorts of other reasons,) she planned to run 50 miles today. She'd announced this last month and, as she has many, many friends all over the running and non-running world, she garnered a huge amount of support and quite a large number of people who wished to run some (or in one case, all) of the 50 with her. I was planning on running a few miles with her and then tailing off for 5-7 on my own.
Of course, one thing led to another and I had way too much fun running with she and her friend Michelle and the ever-awesome and speedy Dawn Varnum and I stayed along for 10 miles, joined by Kit Boucher for the last few of my stint.
I can't even begin to describe what a joy and an honor it was to take part in Dari's run (which she completed.) She is a singularly tough, beautiful, smart person who runs as a lifeblood and who has cancer as a matter of annoyance. She rocks.
Ran the last two back to my car and called it a day.

No comments: