Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Tuesday, November 3rd, 2015

Soooo, it looks as if I've really let the blog go. However, this action (or lack of) shouldn't be perceived as my having let running go (at least not to the same seemingly total degree.)
Since July, I've become a 100% full-time (or more) working photographer, leaving precious little time for running. And it seems that between the weekend days of being on my feet and running around with 25 lbs. of gear for 12 hours and the work on the days in between, I ended up with achilles soreness like I've never experienced before. Plus, I decided to race both a 5 miler and a 10k on very little training, with the 5 miler (in a not-so-bad 27:18, given said lack of training) coming days after a hard 18 (a dumb but emotionally necessary thing after the weeks of less than 40 miles a week.)
The 10k was Lone Gull and was about as bad as it gets. 34:48 for a PW and a renewed sense of "What the fuck is happening to me?"
But, now that wedding season has finally concluded, I'm able to run a little more, not because of more time, as I'm still taking on loads of jobs and editing like a crazy person, but because my body isn't getting beaten up on a weekly basis in the same way.
The last two weeks I've managed 45+ miles (who ever thought I'd be so happy about that?) and have been running some decently fast ones at that. On my 45th birthday a little over a week ago, I managed back to back 5:41 and 5:22 miles and have been seeing more sub 6:00 pace than I've seen in a long time.
Now I just need to be careful that I don't keep myself in a sense of fatigue through the winter, as I really do want to have a good Boston.
There are Thanksgiving races coming up and Mill Cities after that, so if I need to shut it down for a week, I can do so for the 2nd week of December. The more I think about that scenario, the more it seems like a good idea, but that's easier said than done if I'm feeling relatively ok.
Anyway, good to be back on the blog, if for no other reason than I'm reminding myself that yes, I'm still a runner.

No comments: