Monday, March 23, 2009

March 22, 2009

An Ras Mor 5k. 15:40.
Didn't know what to expect as far as a field, but knew that it was a flat course, so there would be no hill advantage for yours truly.
Got there and warming up, quickly realized that Fraioli and Prindiville were in the mix (though they each got taken by Dan Smith.) The biggest question mark for me was have I become a distance guy who won't even warm up until mile 3, or is it true that this distance stuff will keep me strong and fast?
Went through 1 in 4:59 and felt smooth; working hard, but smooth. I found myself in the lead just before 1 and then Fraioli and a pack came up beside me and swallowed me whole. I hung for 300 yards or so, but had to back off as they kept it right at that 5:00 mark.
Went through 2 in 10:03 and felt the burn, but still had a good mile left in me, which I gave as me and one other guy (Matthias) went neck and neck for the rest. We probably went through the first 1/2 of that last mile at 5:06 pace or so, and then as we made the turn, we sort of looked at each other, trying tofigure out what kick there was going to be and when it was coming. I figured better sooner than later, in case he came back and I had to go again, so with 300 yards to go, I hit it. At 200, I started to flat out sprint, and I still had it. I put 3 seconds on him in that span and finished in 15:39, 2 seconds off my PR. They had me at 15:40, but oh well.
4th place overall and I was the oldest of the 4, so that makes me feel good. Plus, I hung with the likes of Fraioli and Prindiville for a while and beat Ndaya and Teague. I've gotten Ndaya 3 races in a row now, and though he's not having the best year, it's still nice to not see his back quite as often. Good stuff.

7 miles total a.m., 5 miles p.m.
70 for the week.

M - 0
T - 8
W - 17
Th - 13
Fr - 7/6=13
Sa - 7
Su - 7/5=12

week: 70 miles

No comments: