Monday, October 25, 2010

Oct. 24th, 2010

8 miles. Mayor's Cup XC.
Happy Birthday to me.
Last week was a loss with the cold and this week was OK, with some good runs, but still the nagging cold every day until this a.m., when I finally felt decent.
We got there early, I warmed up for 2 miles, saw a bunch of familiar faces and before I knew it, we were off.
I was in the back half at the mile with a 5:03, but then a bunch of folks started to fall off and I accelerated through the 2nd with an OK 5:13. I had to remember this is Xc and the splits were not going to be what I'm used to on the roads. Plus, I hate spikes and today reminded me why. The footing on anything not soft is horrible and I swear I lost a lot just from that.
Passed a bunch of guys I wanted to and held on as the going got tough for everyone through 3. Still dropped more time and got weaker than I'd like for the middle part, but closed strong and ended up with a 26:12 for this course (20 second PR over 2007,) 2nd Master (beat Levy, Mutinda and a bunch of other solid dudes and came in 2nd only to Koech, who is just ridiculously fast, and also really nice, to boot,) and got 65th overall out 154 (much better than the 88 out of 181 last time.)
Really feel like with a couple good, healthy weeks and some better shoes, I can really take some time off again.

M- 12
T- 11
W- 16 (11/5)
Th- 8
F- 11
Sa- 8
Su- 8

week- 74 miles

No comments: