Sunday, December 8, 2013

Sunday, December 8th, 2013

This is the first time I haven't kept track of a period of non-running here, but since that what just occurred, it must have happened to an extent and with a severity that made me not even care to keep myself or anyone else informed.
Long story short, the last entry was regarding a workout, a first workout in some time, that seemed to have gone quite well. However, after it coming on little sleep and being followed by even less, it became a precursor to my old soleus issue flaring up, though only mildly. Still, rather than do something silly, like race on it, I tried one last 8 miler 3 days out from what would have been the Andrea Holden 5k. It hurt enough to make me shut it down. So, that was 11 days ago. I'd thought that 2 weeks off at some point before actually starting to train in earnest for the spring and Boston would be happening, but I'd hoped it would happen after Mill Cities. I felt like an absolute shit that I'd told Paul I was psyched for it (because I really wasm) and then had to back out, but I knew that even a 2 miles of pounding would kill my leg and no one knows for how long. It just sucks that I had to be smart at a time when I was excited to go fast and help the team.
But, here I am and now, with Mill Cities having happened today, I'm going to go for a very easy 1/2 hour in the woods tomorrow, and truth be told, I have no idea how it will feel. A best case scenario is that everything BUT my soleus will be a little sore after 2 weeks of nothing. A worst case scenario is that a mile in, it hurts. But, I really don't believe that will happen. I just need to go easy. Very easy. The next week or two will be nothing but easy runs less than an hour, on soft surfaces. Then, I can run normally for two more. Then, as we are in the middle of January, and only then, will I allow myself to think about workouts. I've been a half a runner for the better part of the last year, and I've gotten away with some good results and somehow become stronger, though not necessarily faster, than I've ever been. Now it's time to combine the things that gave me the strength with the things that will give me the speed and do it right. I don't know what lies ahead, but I do know that I'm a bit smarter, I'm tired of fucking around and I want to put a stamp on this year that surprises even me.

1 comment:

dale said...
This comment has been removed by the author.